Communicable Disease Reporting
Healthcare providers, laboratories, and the public help improve the community's health when they report cases of disease to the health department. These reports give health officials a chance to find out where the disease came from and stop its spread before other people get sick. All information reported to the health department is confidential and will not be shared.
Residents of Mahoning County can report a disease to the Mahoning County District Board of Health by phone at 330-270-2855 or fax to 330-270-9194.
Residents of Youngstown can report a disease to the Youngstown City Health District by phone at 330-743-3333 or fax to 330-743-3960.
Please include in your report as much of the following information as possible:
- Patients name
- Onset date (patient began feeling ill)
- Patient's contact information (name, address, phone number)
- Laboratory results (if available) and name of laboratory
- Patient's age and/or date of birth
- Name of disease (if known) and/or symptoms
- Patient's gender
After Hours Communicable Disease Reporting
To report a disease "After Hours" (Regular hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. EST Monday-Friday) to the Mahoning County District Board of Health:
- Call 330-270-2855
- Listen to message and proceed to "Report a Communicable Disease"
- Leave a detailed message using the above report steps
List of Communicable Diseases
According to the Ohio Administrative Code (Rules 3703-3-01 through 3701-3-31 of the Ohio Administrative Code), all laboratories, physicians, schools, daycares, health professionals and hospitals are to report suspected and confirmed cases of certain communicable disease to the local health department. Communicable Disease Staff is responsible to review and investigate emerging and reportable infectious or communicable diseases within Mahoning County.
Disease Reporting Statistics for Mahoning County
- 2016-2017 Influenza Surveillance Final Report
- 2015-2016 Influenza Surveillance Final Report
- Reported Disease Statistics for 2017
- Reported Disease Statistics for 2016
- Reported Disease Statistics for 2015
- Reported Disease Statistics for 2014
- 2015 ODH Annual Summary of Infectious Diseases
The Mahoning County District Board of Health works with healthcare providers, other local health departments, and the Ohio Department of Health to minimize the impact of disease on the community's health. Our staff members identify cases of reportable diseases then investigate them through patient interviews, specimen sampling, and collaborative work with healthcare providers.